Route: THE MAGNIFICENCE OF THE POPES. JUBILEE WORKS
Via dei Pettinari, 36 www.vicariatusurbis.org Every day…
You are along the route: COMMITMENT AND HOLINESS. IGNATIUS OF LOYOLA AND FILIPPO NERI
Via dei Pettinari, 36a
Every day 7:30-19:30. Free entry.
The church, whose mission is to welcome and assist the pilgrims in Rome, was built between 1587 and 1616, on the site of the former church of San Benedetto in Arenula, by the Confraternity of the “SS. Trinità del Sussidio o dei Pellegrini”, founded in 1548 by St. Philip and recognized by Pope Paul III. In 1558 Pope Paul IV gave the Confraternity the use of the church in perpetuity and in 1559 bought a neighbouring house to be used for hospital and hospice. From the Jubilee of 1575 and in the Holy Years to come, the Trinity Church and the Hospice were the centre of religious hospitality in Rome, hosting up to 400,000 people. In the chapel dedicated to the saint is the altarpiece with the Ecstasy of St. Philip and paintings depicting scenes from his life.